Food is much cheaper than it was 30 years ago. We’re spending more of our grocery money on processed foods. And other insights.
That’s right. Our military had two, unflown, better-than-Hubble space telescopes just sitting around.
This is the state of our military-industrial-scientific complex in miniature: The military has so much money that it has two extra telescopes better than anything civilians have; meanwhile, NASA will need eight years to find enough change in the couches at Cape Canaveral to turn these gifts into something they can use. Anyone else find anything wrong with this state of affairs?
- Never Stop Learning
- Have Advisors With Different Worldviews
- Be Part Of The Away Team
- Play Poker, Not Chess
- Blow up the Enterprise
- Speak to people in the language they understand.
- When you’re overwhelmed, ask for help.
- Always value ethical actions over expedient ones.
- Challenge your team to help them grow.
- Don’t play it safe – seize opportunities in front of you.
Mistake #1: Building an organization around particular people, rather than institutions.
Mistake #2: Depriving people of the chance to have a stake in the organization.
Mistake #3: Having no tolerance for failure.
Mistake #4: Focusing all of the organization’s efforts into a single goal and failing to consider alternatives.
Mistake #5: Failing to learn from mistakes.
all by Alex Knapp